A Failed Experiment

So…..turns out something that seems to be working for a lot of chronic migraine sufferers didn’t quite work out as well for me.

Just over 3 weeks ago (February 6th) I got a daith piercing after my best girl sent me some info and suggested it. I have an inoperable brain tumor and I have chronic headaches and migraines (NOT the same thing), so she thought it might help.

IMG_20160206_183226034

That was clearly not my first piercing, but it was easily the most painful. But I figured if it was worth it, then whatever.

THEN I choked. Literally. On chocolate milk. About 4 days later. As in I choked enough to hemorrhage at least one vocal chord and lose my voice for almost 2 weeks. Dysphasia isn’t unheard of when it comes to a tentorial meningioma. My tumor is sitting on the left 5th cranial nerve. That particular nerve has 3 branches and the bottom branch of it is connected to the ability to swallow.

I bring this up because I just figured I managed to basically kick the crap out of myself and the subsequent weeks of feeling like warmed over doggy doo death could be related to choking.

I saw my primary care doc 3 days after choking and she made sure I didn’t have any infections. It is February in the Mid-Atlantic region and I have doody for an immune system. The ridiculous excuse I did have for what might have passed for an immune system was chewed up and spit out by radiation.

Then I saw my neurologist the following week and she confirmed that the fever I spiked the day after choking was a normal response. That was, surprisingly, a good thing. Which means I don’t have pneumonia from aspirating chocolate milk (of all things).

But I kept getting sicker and sicker. I’ve lost close to 10 pounds. And although the first 9 weeks of 2016 have pretty much blown, I shouldn’t have been that sick. Finally, as a last resort I asked my daughter to help me take the piercing out. Everything else had leveled back out and that was the only thing left and I was tired of hurling everything I’ve eaten for the last 2 weeks. She couldn’t figure out how to get it out so she took me over to the piercer and they took it out.

IMG_20160301_153939319

Today was the first day in 2 weeks I haven’t woken up puking. I’m still weak  and drawn but I feel better. My daughter took one look at it and said she thought my body was rejecting the piercing. Maybe she’s right. Maybe I just don’t have the immune system to get any more piercings.

I’m glad I tried, and I’m sorry it didn’t work. But I am grateful to finally be feeling better.

3 responses

  1. Wow, how scary…and shitty. Sorry you’ve been having such a crap time, but I’m glad it finally seems to be passing. I think I may have found the 10 pounds you lost. Let me know if you want them back. 😉

    Like

    1. Lol…..Thank you. As I understand it you can’t really afford the 10 pounds any more than I can!

      Like

  2. Maybe try strawberry milk?

    Liked by 1 person

Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: